I really hate moving. I don’t mind packing, but I dread actually moving everything from one place to the next.
Oddly enough this only applies to my own moving. I really don’t mind helping a friend (preferably well organized) move.
I do love that a new my place will likely be the cleanest and most well organized it will ever be when I first move in (once settled in of course), and I love the beauty of a blank canvas for placing everything.
However, there are a few little things I’ve learned along the way that have definitely helped make the process a little smoother.
- Purge before you move, seriously make time for this step.
- Label the sides of boxes for visibility and include the room they belong in and any key objects that are inside.
- Pack each room’s essentials together to make them easier to find. The easiest way to do this is by packing gradually over weeks or days so the things you need for every day living are the last things you pack.
- Pack a cleaning kit to take on your first trip over, which should include, all-purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, rubber gloves, baking soda, cleaning cloths, dusting wipes, paper towels, garbage bags, shelf liner, scissors, toilet paper and hand soap. If you’re like me you’ll want to clean everything before you unpack.
- Pack all glassware and dinnerware with white packing paper, using newsprint will mean you’ll have to wash everything before using it.
- Have bottled water and some quick snacks on hand like nut and fruit bars. The stress of packing combined with hunger is not pretty.
- Possibly the most important but overlooked tip. Set aside a small box for any really significant non-replaceable items, and keep it with you.
Happy moving K, I wish I could be of more help!