I made this on a weekday afternoon. I was excited to try the delicata squash I had just bought. I knew I wanted to roast it, and I had a beautiful bunch of kale that seemed a likely accomplice.
I thought about a roasted squash and kale salad, but ultimately I was craving the comforts of fall foods.
I did feel a bit self indulgent, so many pots for a single plate of pasta for one, but the hubs and I weren’t having dinner together so I felt like making one meal just for me was a forgivable indulgence.
Plus there was leftover squash for a few other quick meals.
Roasted delicata squash with kale, chili flakes, garlic, and grana padano
Recipe of sorts:
1 delicata squash
3-4 dino kale leaves
a handful of dried spaghetti (I used gluten free)
1 clove of garlic
grana padano (or another similar cheese like parmesan)
chili flakes to taste
salt+ pepper + olive oil
- preheat oven to 425
- wash squash, cut in half lengthwise removing seeds with a small spoon, and cut into thin slices
- toss the squash with roughly 2 tbsp olive oil season with salt and pepper and scatter on a roasting pan, roast for 10 minutes, flip and roast for an additional 10 minutes or until browned and soft
- bring a pot of water to boil for pasta
- wash and remove kale from stalk, massage the kale quickly and roughly chop, and chop the stalk into small pieces
- once your pasta is in the pot, heat a tbsp of olive oil in a pan on medium, add the clove of garlic finely sliced and chilli flakes to taste, after a minute, add the kale stalk
- after 2-3 minutes add the kale and salt and pepper to taste
- after a few more minutes once everything has softened add the squash and the pasta and toss
- plate and finish with thick ribbons of grana padano